The Crown Grant of Molloy Island to John Molloy was dated 17th November 1840.
Molloy Island, was first developed for residential housing in 1976 and is situated about 10km up the Blackwood River from the seaside holiday town of Augusta and is any easy 15 minute drive from the town, through pleasant countryside.
Access is via Kudardup Road off Bussell Highway then via Fisher Road to the island ferry which is privately owned by the Molloy Island Home Owners Association. The ferry can take four cars or one heavy truck at a time, and can only be used by Home Owners or their friends. Prospective buyers must be accompanied by a Real Estate Representative. It is operated by the caretaker on the hour between 8am and 5pm every day, but Owners can operate it on the intervening half hours, and then between 5pm and 8am o the hour or half hour.
Comprising about 300 acres in area, the island it heavily timbered with jarrah, red-gum, banksias, grass-trees and other colourful native trees and plants, including large clumps of kangraroo paws.
The Home Owners Association has a Constitution which embodies Rules and Regulations associated witha protective Covenant to preserve that environment. The Rules endeavour to retain the ambience of the island.
Membership of the MIHOA is automatic on purchase of a property, with an annual fee (year 2008) of $1100 inclusive of GST and ferry fares. This fee covers the upkeep of the ferry, fire tenders, and other equipment owned by the Association, plus the wages of the full time caretaker.
There are approximately 286 freehold blocks on the Island, ranging in area from 1600 to 2200 square meters, but no boundary fences are allowed, as they would prevent the kangaroos moving around. All blocks are serviced with underground power and telephone, but here is no mains water or deep sewer.
The Island community is very environmentally minded and cats are not allowed on the island, although dogs are if leashed. Molloy Island is a beautiful and tranquil place.